Friday, March 22, 2013

So.. My wallet was stolen

Sometimes, life smacks you in the face. Really hard. Takes your wallet and makes you reevaluate how safe you feel. And how unobservant you can be. Funny how having my wallet stolen has awoken me. I passed through all the stages of emotion. Disbelief, anger, grief, action, grief again, alcohol, anger again (with a side of violence, I regret) and giddiness. True story. Lucky for me, I have a fantastic support system. A wonderful woman who gave me a metro card to use. A caring man who gave me $20. A fabulous bartender who knew what I needed (and pushed glasses of water my direction). And the countless hugs, threats against the offenders, and the jokes to make me laugh.

There's a violation of privacy that happens when something so personal is stolen. The perpetrator literal took my identity and went on a spending spree at McDonald's.. What makes a person think they have a right to take something away from someone else? I would never ever EVER think to disrespect someone like that. Someone enjoying a fabulous dinner with a friend they hadn't seen in awhile. The fact that it was stolen right under my nose makes you hyper aware of your environment. I immediately start to suspect everyone. And wonder if that guy that looked at me on the train was trying to match me to my driver's license photo. Everyone is the culprit.

Immediately I suspect everyone on this train that has a McDonald's cup. But I can't let myself turn to bitterness. Is it that hard to believe in the goodness of people, even after someone violated your personal space? I'd like to think I'm evolved enough to let the bitterness, anger, and judgement go.

Fortunately I was able to cancel my credit card and bank card before something catastrophic happened. I can only imagine what the perp bought for $26 at McDonald's. I'm almost ashamed to admit that the he/she/it better be thankful I didn't know how close they were when I was passing through my anger phase. What can I say, I'm feisty.

So, as I sit, wallet-less and concerned about the future of my PA driver's liscense, social security card, and Victoria's Secret preference card, I can't help but be humbled by the people who jumped to help me. It doesn't matter what I lost. I found what was really important. Credit cards can be cancelled. And there can only be one Jes Halm. Go ahead and try and feel these shoes! But that one Jes Halm wouldn't be anything without the incredible people in her life. Everything else is replaceable. Friendships and incredible, supportive people, are not.

So, instead of anger, bitterness, and ill will, I'll focus on compassion and gratitude for the wonderful people I am fortunate enough to share this planet with.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment